Friday, January 10, 2014

Snowmen at Night

This week in First Grade, we read the story "Snowmen at Night".  It's a story about a boy who wonders what happens to snowmen at night when the rest of the world is sleeping.  It's a funny story of how snowmen have snowmen races, go ice-skating and drink ice-cold cocoa made by snowmen mothers.  You can find the story here click on the link below:
After reading the story several times, I posed the following writing prompt to the students: "If you were a snowman at night, what would you do?" The children were then sent to their desks to complete their "sloppy copy".  Next, we had a lesson all about ADJECTIVES.  We discussed that writers use adjectives to help the readers visualize what the writer is describing.
We even played the following video to help us remember all about ADJECTIVES:
After our mini lesson on adjectives, we took a look back at our sloppy copy of "If I were a snowman at night, I would...".  We highlighted all of the nouns that we wrote in yellow.  Then, we added adjectives in front of our nouns to make our writing more descriptive.
After we were finished working and revising our own essay, we partnered up to see if we could add anything extra to each other's writing.

Next came the fun part!!! We created our Snowmen at Night paintings!!! We created our masterpieces by using MARSHMALLOWS to paint our snowmen.  We used chalk to create the background scenes.  Can I just say we had SO.MUCH.FUN completing this project!!! Now, no project using marshmallows is complete without a little marshmallow snack on the side!!!:)



Finally, we put our paintings and final drafts together and hung them on display...I am so PROUD of how well these projects turned out!!!  This class is turning into quite the creative writers!!!!
 First, I will sleigh ride sown the bumpy hill.  Next, I will eat fluffy marshmallows.  Then, I will eat some plain pizza for lunch.  Last, I will make hot, milky chocolate to drink.  
 ~Kayden
First, I will go on a red sleigh.  Next, I would have the best snowball fight.  Last, I'll drink cold cocoa. ~Aiden
 First, I will drink cold cocoa.  Next, I will snow board down a snowy mountain.  Then, I will slide down a chilly hill.  Last, I will drink cold lemonade and eat grinch cookies.  
~Robert
First, I will have cold cocoa with chocolate chip cookies.  Next, I will play a snowball game down the bumpy mountain.  Last, I will go back to my snowy home.
~Jordan

1 comment:

  1. This lesson is fabulous...the children look engaged, and how fun it is to tie a grammar lesson into an art project!!! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Notes for the teacher!!!;)