Friday, January 3, 2014

Happy New Year!!!

Hello friends, let me just start by saying sorry.  I am so sorry at my lack of posting!!! But, let me just say, Oh.My.Word I literally feel like a fast-forward button was pushed and Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's came and went in a flash!!!  I'm going to do a picture summary of all the fun we had in First Grade over the last few weeks.  I'll start with the most recently completed activities, and work my way back...

During the last week of school, we celebrated "Polar Express Day".  On this day, the students wore their PJs, and watched the movie at the end of the day.  During the movie, I set up a "cold-chocolate" toppings bar for them to enjoy along with the movie:
Also, during that last week of school, we completed a writing prompt "Dear Santa, I would make a good reindeer because..."
We also celebrated "Grinch Day" where we read and watched Dr. Seuss's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  We talked about how the Grinch's character changed from the beginning of the story till the end of the story.  We also learned that "Christmas doesn't come from a store, maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."




We even made njnewstoday.net for our Grinch Day Celebration!!!
(click the link above to take you to our article!!!)


We also completed my {favorite} writing prompt of the year..."If I Saw Santa Stuck in the Chimney, I Would..." I just love hearing all of their responses, and seeing how creative they are!!!!
Going back a little further, we created our pilgrim project for our writing prompt "If I Traveled on the Mayflower, I Would Bring..."
We also celebrated our 50th Day of School, in true 50's style.  The students dressed up in their best 50's attire, and participated in various activities that focused around the number 50.  The teachers set up the cafeteria up in different stations, then the children rotated around each station.  Now, no 50's Day celebration can be complete without a root beer float (which was my teacher station!!).  Here's a look:



There it is in a nutshell...we had so much fun in all of the activities we completed leading up to winter break...these are just the highlights, but I think my New Year's Resolution is to keep this little blog updated much more often!!!  

1 comment:

  1. Your polar express table was BEAUTIFUL!!!! I'm sure the children loved it! They looked so cute on their 50th day... What great activities you have for your students!!!

    ReplyDelete

Notes for the teacher!!!;)