Friday, May 3, 2013

The PRONOUN Song & A look at a writing lesson...

Here in First Grade, we have been working very hard at learning what PRONOUNS are...and we have learned a song that teaches us all about them....ENJOY!!!
How PRECIOUS is this??? 
Normally, each week, we work on a different writing prompt which teaches us different structures and forms of a variety of genres.  This week we worked on writing a FRIENDLY LETTER.  I typically introduce the students to the genre by showing them different samples.  Then, I model each step of the writing process, and explain to them what is expected of them at each step.  Usually, we will meet as a big group and I will model for them what step of the process they will be completing for the day.  This week, we first learned and labeled the five parts of a friendly letter and completed a graphic organizer to begin our writing:
Here, I have the five parts of the letter written in orange, and I chose to write to Mickey Mouse...after I completed my model the students were sent to their seats to work on filling out their graphic organizer...
After they get their thoughts on the page, I conference with each student to review what they wrote and fix any mistakes that they have.  Next, I modeled how to complete their "neat sheet" final draft.
I used labels to reiterate the parts of the letter, and I also used purple tape to remind them of the places they need to write their commas...then they are sent back to their seats to work on their final drafts...
This week, we also completed a cut/sort/glue project of the parts of the friendly letter which I will also use to make sure they understood the writing genre...
Also, one of my sweeties brought in flowers for the teacher...what a way to end the week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Notes for the teacher!!!;)